His Excellency, President Muhamadu Buhari, the President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria is currently serving his second term in office and has spent a combined period of Five years in office so far.
However, many Nigerians from South East have continued to hold the opinion that Mr. President has marginalized the South East Region in his Five years in office so far.
Prominent among them is Nnamdi Kanu, who leads the agitation for a country of their own.
But I personally hold brief for Mr. President and opine that he has tried and is still doing his best in ensuring that the South East and Igbos continue to enjoy enough dividends of democracy.
When Goodluck Jonathan was in office as President, it is true that he extended many Federal appointments to the Igbos compared to Buhari, but in terms of infrastructural developments, President Buhari has done more than enough.
Outlined below are some of the Projects that President Muhammadu Buhari has carried out in the South East Region. While some have been completed, others are ongoing; the status is indicated in brackets in front of the projects:
1. Rehabilitation of Sections 1 to four of the Enugu–Port Harcourt highway (ongoing)
2. Rehabilitation of Amansea–Enugu Border section of Onitsha-Enugu (Sukuk Bond) (ongoing)
3. Rehabilitation of 18km stretch of Onitsha–Awka road (ongoing)
4. Construction of 2nd Niger Bridge: This is still ongoing and is broken into phases. It is been constructed by Julius Berger
5. Rehabilitation of Arochukwu–Ohafia–Bende avenue (ongoing)
6. Ariaria market Electrification project (ongoing)
7. Federal government’s Energizing Training Programme is currently on in Federal university Ndufu-Alike Ikwo, Ebonyi; and Nnamdi Azikwe University –Awka Campus, Anambra. The Programme will offer these Universities with an independent electricity Plant, in addition, to improve present distribution infrastructure.
8. Completed Ikot Ekpene – Alaoji – Ugwuaji power Station and Transmission Line
9. Establishment of state of art medical Diagnostic Centre at the Federal Medical Centre, Umuahia (FMCU) (ongoing)
10. Completed the Nnamdi Azikiwe Mausoleum (This began in 1996, abandoned at numerous times, Buhari’s government took over in 2016, and finished it in 2018).
11. National Social funding Programme: 68,000 N-Power Beneficiaries across the five states of the South East for the Batch A and B respectively.
Just last week, President Muhammadu Buhari approved the sum of 78 billion nairas, to be paid to the Government of Rivers state from the coffers of the Federal government, for Federal government projects carried out in the state by the Rivers star government.
This prompted Rivers state Governor, Nyesom Wike to send a letter of appreciation to Mr. President and even invited Mr. President to Rivers state.
President Buhari has continued to show that he is a detribalized Nigerian and as much as possible, President Muhammadu Buhari is doing his best, therefore, rather than accusing him of Marginalization, the Igbo’s and South East including Nnamdi Kanu should apologize to the president immediately.
We are one big nation, one Nigeria, and no matter who is the president or where he is from, as Nigerians, we should all give our unalloyed support to him.